Know About the Pregnancy Ultrasound
One of the most special feelings during pregnancy i.e. seeing your baby for the very first time is provided by the ultrasound. The medical professional will use the sound waves to create and display the images of baby present in the woman’s womb. Apart from the basic ultrasound there are certain advanced ultrasounds that may be used to create the detailed image of the baby. With this article we will understand everything important about the ultrasound scans in pregnancy.
What is ultrasound Pregnancy?
Ultrasound pregnancy is basically a non-invasive diagnostic procedure that uses the sound waves of high-frequency in order to create the images of the developing baby and the reproductive organs of the woman. This diagnostic procedure is also known as the sonogram and can be performed number of times during the whole pregnancy phase. There is a standard ultrasound and then there are certain other advanced ultrasounds like the 3D ultrasound, 4-D ultrasound, and a fetal echocardiography.
How to prepare for the ultrasound?
In order to get the clear image of the fetus and the reproductive organs of the woman she is required to have the full bladder. Thus, prior to going for the ultrasound make the woman must drink at least two to three glasses of water one hour before the scheduled ultrasound moreover you must not urinate before the ultrasound. The top gynecology hospitals in India will further assist you about the procedure of ultrasound.
Why is pregnancy ultrasound conducted?
Conducting the ultrasound during pregnancy is mandatory as it is used for the number of reasons. Mainly this procedure is performed with the intention of detecting the presence of any medical condition, ensuring the good health of the baby and to determine the sex of the child etc. In the distinct trimesters of pregnancy the purpose of this imaging test is distinct. Here are the trimester wise reasons for conducting ultrasounds.
During the first trimester of pregnancy
The first trimester of pregnancy is from the 1 week to the 12 week of pregnancy. The ultrasound scan pregnancy 12 weeks can be conducted for the following reasons-
- To ascertain pregnancy
- Detect and check the fetal heartbeat
- Check the presence of the multiple pregnancies.
- Determine the gestational age of the baby and estimate a due date
- To scan the reproductive organs of the woman like placenta, uterus, ovaries, and cervix
- To check the abnormal growth in the fetus.
- To detect the ectopic pregnancy or miscarriage
During the second and third trimesters of pregnancy
During the second trimester that last from 12 to 24 weeks and the third trimester 24 to 40 weeks or birth the ultrasound is conducted due to following reasons-
- To check the growth of the baby and determine its position.
- To check the baby’s sex
- To determine the birth defects and the congenital defects in baby.
- To look for the problems related to placenta
- Check for congenital abnormalities or birth defects
- To continuously monitor the levels of amniotic fluid
- To ensure that the fetus is getting the enough oxygen
- To look for the problems with the ovaries or uterus, such as pregnancy tumors
- Measure the length of the cervix
- Guide other tests, such as Amniocentesis.
Ultrasound scan pregnancy week by week is used by the medical professionals to determine the health position of the child and ensure that the mother and baby are healthy.