Ways to Manage Joint Pains during Pregnancy
Pregnancy is one of the most beautiful phases of any couple’s life. There are a lot of physical and mental changes that a woman undergoes during her pregnancy. Along with having some priceless feelings like listening to the heartbeat of the baby for the first time, experiencing the kick on the tummy, eating urges etc there are also some harsh experiences. One of these problems faced by the pregnant women includes the persistent joint pains. With this article we will take a look at the various causes of the joint pains and the remedies to manage these pains.
Causes of Joint pains during pregnancy
In order to deal with any condition it is first imperative for you to determine the causes of joint pains during pregnancy. Here are we outlined some of the major causes of joint pains-
- Excessive weight gain- Every woman gains some amount of weight during the pregnancy. In order to manage the extra pounds the additional support from the body parts is required that often result in pains in the hip, knee joint and ankles etc.
- Inappropriate sleep position- During pregnancy the woman usually sleeps on her left side that is responsible for triggering pains in her hip joint and other joints.
- Relaxin Hormone- During pregnancy the hormone called the relaxin is released by the ovaries and the placenta of the women. Due to this hormone the pelvic muscles and the tendons of the leady are relaxed. This may sometimes results in the hip and other joints pain in the pregnant ladies.
- Excess fluid-During pregnancy the excessive fluid may build up in the body of the women due to which excessive pressure is exerted on the wrist of the lady. Due to this pressure the lady may experience the pain and numbness in the wrist.
- Hypothyroidism- In pregnancy most of the women suffer from the condition called hypothyroidism. Due to this condition the lady may gain excess weight that exerts pressure on the joint results in joint pains.
Remedies for managing pain in Joints during pregnancy
- Get enough rest-It is of utmost importance to take the adequate amount of rest during pregnancy. Resting your body can help you in reducing the pains in the joints.
- Hot and cold therapy- This is the best method for treating the pains in Joints. Take a hot shower or use an electric heating on the pain joints to get some relief. Apart from the hot therapy the cold therapy can also be useful and you can use an ice pack wrapped in a towel and place it over your joints.
- Splints-The pain in the knee and hands joints can be relieved by using the splints over them.
- Omega 3 food items- The food items rich in omega 3 like eggs can prove to be the great remedy for joint pain and in relieving them.
- Massage- The stiffness in the joints can be relieved and the movement can be facilitated by massaging. For this purpose you can also take assistance from the licensed therapist.
- Don’t exercise too much- It is good to do best exercises during pregnancy and they can help you in improving the flexibility and movement in your joints. However, do not put too much stress on your joints and avoid exerting too much pressure on your body that will help you in relieving pain.
- Wear Comfortable Footwear- During pregnancy it is very important that the mum to be wear comfortable footwear. Make sure to stay away from heels and choose flats instead.
- Herbal supplements-You can use certain herbal supplements like the ginger extract to relieve joint pain. But one thing that must be ensured before using the supplements is that they are not harmful for your body.
- Raise your feet-lift your feet as much possible to relieve joint pain and improve blood flow.
In case you are experiencing the pain even after abiding by the tips mentioned above don’t wait to consult the best gynecologist and get the treatment.