Difference between Premenstrual Syndrome and Pregnancy
Are you carrying someone within your womb, or it is just another PMS symptom? The reason that I am asking this question some of the symptoms associated with pregnancy ends up being the same as the Premenstrual Syndrome symptoms. This similarity makes it difficult for many women about their condition. Therefore, through the course of this blog, we are going to take a look into their definitions and how to differentiate between the two. So let us, jump into this topic.
What is Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS)
PMS refers to the Premenstrual Syndrome. It is a psychological and physiological symptoms that a women experiences after ovulating. To that end, you can think of PMS as a condition where the women’s body is being primed to be able to conceive a child. The symptoms associated with this symptom are the following:
- Mood swings
- Breast tenderness
- Change in hunger patterns.
Now, if someone is to present me the same symptoms, i would think that that the person is pregnant. The reason is simple, when you go through ovulation; your body goes through almost the same kinds of hormonal changes. Now, you can easily sense that this is where the confusion regarding PMS and pregnancy comes from. Therefore, let us look at the signs and symptoms of pregnancy that differentiates it from PMS.
Differentiating PMS and Pregnancy: What signs to look for
- Bleeding or spotting: If there is case of pregnancy, the bleeding comes in only a small form of spotting. However, the case is totally different with the case of PMS. The Pre menstrual syndrome comes with heavy bleeding and this is totally different. The reason associated with bleeding during pregnancy is that that the fertilized egg is placing itself on the uterine walls.
- Fatigue: if you are pregnant, then being a bit fatigued in the early stages is the most common symptom. Now, this weakness won’t necessarily go away. However, in the case of PMS, the weakness goes away when the period is about to start.
- Food cravings and aversions: In the case of PMS, the women would feel certain food cravings and aversions just when the period is about to set in. Now, these cravings are not that intense in this case. Now, when you are considering the case of pregnancy, the cravings are a lot more specific and intense too.
- Vomiting and nausea: This is one symptom that is more typical during the early pregnancy stages and they are not so common in the case of PMS. Therefore if you are feeling nauseated, it is more indicative of being pregnant rather than PMS.
- Cramping: The pelvic cramping is one of those symptoms that are more indicative of PMS, as the pain associated with PMS is a lot more than the mild one during pregnancy.
Now that you know the difference, you can get a rudimentary answer to the question: “are you pregnant?” However, if you want a more coherent picture of your pregnancy in this regard, you better get in touch with the best gynecology doctor in India.